Saturday, January 26, 2013

Arithmetic Laws

The grammar and representation of logical expressions seems impressive in general.

For Example:

Considerably more time goes into figuring out what this means and verifying it:

P ^ (Q V ~Q) <=> P <=> P V (Q ^ ~Q)

Than what this means, and verifying it:


P = P (1 + 0)

But they state the same thing really, especially if you look at it from a logic gate perspective. Which is why I'm cautiously optimistic about this course. Knowing that I know every Boolean algebra law so far discussed in this course gives me a certain degree of confidence in interpreting this weird world of logic. What I'm wondering now, is if its possibly a crutch that I am compelled by habit to convert expressions containing conjunctions and disjunctions into Boolean algebraic equations in my mind and convert them back once I've understood or transformed them. This method makes it magnitudes easier for me to understand expressions, but feels like sloppy methodology to me and that I'm cheating myself.

Beyond that I'm not feeling particularly struggled with any concept found in this course so far. It's definitely challenging, but I'm enjoying it, so I can't complain. Although trying to remember the technical definitions of every operator isn't quite as fun.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're on top of things. Whetehr or not your technique is something positive or something negative really depends on you. Do you find it takes you a very long time (longer than you feel it should) to understand/transform equations? If so you might be better off without!

    ReplyDelete